Its creation was brought about by the important figure Julian Józef Różycki, (1834-1919) who had a bachelor’s degree In pharmacy and was an entrepreneur, investor and social activist. In 1874, Różycki bought the property which today stands at no. 54 from Gotlieb Langner and Wincenty Wodzyński. In 1881, an unusual, narrow, three-story tenement house was built for him, stretching out over the entire property and adjacent to the neighbouring building at Targowa Street 56 (currently the site of the Targowa Creativity Center). The distinctive shape of the tenement, as well as the fact that the continuity of the buildings on the property was broken by its construction, testified to the fact that Julian Różycki was already thinking of the place as a potential marketplace. To this day, however, it is not clear whether he was the originator of the idea, or whether someone else suggested it to him and he merely implemented it.
Since its inception, the Bazaar has been a place with many stalls; here one could hear vendors, here butcher’s stands functioned, and everything functioned without the slightest degree of order. In July 1882, an intricately made iron gate appeared, leading into Targowa Street. Between two cast-iron poles, there was an inscription saying ‘Bazaar’ in Russian and Polish, the two languages separated by an image of a mermaid. Below there was a decorative feature in the form of s-shaped designs. The whole was complemented by two pennants mounted on spheres. At the beginning of the 20th century, a siphon kiosk appeared just outside the gate, which would come to be the hallmark of the Bazaar. It was seven metre tall and was made of wood covered with a zinc plate. Mineral water and sweets were sold here. It was probably demolished after 1935, though today there is no lack of people who would like a copy to return to the bazaar.
This place operated even during the occupation, and one could buy many things here, including those banned by the Germans. There is no shortage of stories about how clothes were made from parachute materials, or stories about how a parabellum could be taken from the occupants. During the Warsaw Uprising in 1944, the Bazaar burned down. In order to rebuild the damaged stands and shops, the Committee for the Reconstruction of the Różycki Bazaar was established, and as early as 1945, booths and partially roofed stands began to appear in it again.
Currently, the Różycki Bazaar is not only a place for trade, but also a place where one can eat a good meal or spend time listening to great music.